7.06.2010

OLSON--Week 5

Dear OLSONites, friends, family, various website wanderers, hello and welcome to the fifth weekly blog posting of "Journey of an O-tern." In this posting, you will see drama, excitement, and the perspective of an enthusiastic redhead. Get ready, get set...CUT!

Cut? Yes, cut! Where did that come from? Well, I got to be a part of a TV shoot last week. It was such a neat experience! One of our clients was shooting an excitable little number on a street in Downtown St. Paul. I got to tag along and see what things look like from an account services perspective. What do things look like? Well, things looked quite movie-like, getting to see everything that was being filmed through a little TV that was set up in front of a few small rows of directors chairs. The clients, our creative and producer gentlemen, an account services gal, and myself all got to camp out in these chairs and watch what was going on. My job? Take it all in. Their job? Make sure the shoot was looking like it was supposed to. Everyone else's job, all 30+ of them? I am still trying to figure that out. I can tell you, however, that they all had a role vital to the production of this little number. How do I know? You should have seen them all bustling around; it was quite the site!

Getting back to the "cut." Every time the director yelled "cut," so did about three other people, one right after another. "CUT!" "CUT." "CUT!" "Cut." It took about all I had not to want to yell "CUT" myself! I, however, did not. One of the folks with me, however, told me it would be funny if I did. And I quote, "Now is your time to shine. Today, you just have to go all out and prove to them what your made of. Jump in whenever you want!" Ha. Made me smile.

Let's see, what else went on this week. Well, it was a short one because of the lovely Fourth of July this past weekend, which was wonderful, by the way! In the office people seemed to be pretty giddy with excitement of getting to go camping, roasting marshmallows, getting sunburned (which I did), or whatever Fourth of July-related activity they were looking forward to. Either that or they had already left. Going from pocket to pocket in the office, it was either filled with people talking and joking (and of course working all at the same time - hey, we are all multi-taskers here at OLSON), or completely silent because people had already headed out.

Now, I know there is at least one person out there reading this thinking, "yeah, yeah, yeah, funny times, but where is the tip of the week?!" Well, here you have it, to that one person (and don't feel bad, I learn from these things more than anyone), the tip of the week: Don't be afraid to jump into a situation even if you do not have one hundred years of prior experience in it. There will be times in life, yours and everyone else's, that the situation at hand requires more than what you think you've got - whether that be knowledge, time, or resources. And sometimes you'll be right in assuming that. Other times you'll be wrong. Hopefully it will usually be the later. Sometimes you'll hit a home run (because you rocked), sometimes you'll walk (because someone took care of it for you), and sometimes you'll strike out (because things just didn't go your way). And if the aftermath of the situation requires it, be willing to admit defeat and take helpful, guiding correction when you goof it up.

You and I are not the only ones to ever make a mistake. I think it's a side-effect of being human. I think it has something to do with how we are not perfect. But hey, your call is as good as mine.

I think the more important piece, rather than focusing on what you have done wrong, is focusing on how you can do better next time around. If every baseball player gave up his sport after striking out, we would not have our all-American game. You may not agree with that, but go easy on me, I do not watch baseball enough to know if there is a person who has never stuck out. This is an analogy people. Work with me. :) Point being: it takes stronger character to admit defeat and try harder next time than it does to run away pouting and never come back.

I may not be perfect. In fact, I may be an intern that just graduated in the Spring. I may even be significantly less knowledgable and experienced than the bright people I work with, but that does not give me an excuse or a desire to give up. On the contrary, I think I'll try harder. Good idea? Well, I hope you're thinking "yes," because that's what I'm going with.

No comments:

Post a Comment